Ir para conteúdo
  • Cadastre-se

Diário do gato de Schrödinger: LPO e Powerlifting

Lucas, o Schrödinger

Posts Recomendados

1 hora atrás, Ricardo Queiroz disse:

Seu pinguço, aparece aqui de madrugada p falar que bebeu e ainda faz post duplicado

Kkkkkk

Pior que bebi bagarai. Ressaca bruta.

Link para o comentário
Compartilhar em outros sites

Publicidade

Pergunta pro pessoal que tem costume com LPO: é normal ficar com a mão destruída? Minha mão tá bem arrebentada depois do treino de quinta - nada que impeça qualquer movimento, mas tá bem dolorida. Detalhe que é a mão mesmo e não o punho.

Link para o comentário

10 horas atrás, Shrödinger disse:

Pergunta pro pessoal que tem costume com LPO: é normal ficar com a mão destruída? Minha mão tá bem arrebentada depois do treino de quinta - nada que impeça qualquer movimento, mas tá bem dolorida. Detalhe que é a mão mesmo e não o punho.

Lucas, eu as vezes ficava com elas bem cansadas nos treinos de snatch, mas dor nunca senti (exceto, em alguns momentos, pelo dedão com a hook snatch grip), já fiquei com as mãos extremamente calejadas, com a grip acabada, com dmt ferroso no ante-braço... essas porras são bem desgastante para a grip. São movimentos bem mais fast and furious que os levantamentos típicos. Um dos conselhos que vi era fazer a maior parte do volume de treino com straps (mas não todo), assim vc consegue dar uma folga para a grip e não vai prejudicar nem o restante do treino e nem afetar a recuperação da mesma para os treinos posteriores.

Link para o comentário

Quando comecei a treinar mais os movimentos de LPO (e o espertão aqui começou com um volume um pouco alto) alguns dias minha mão ficava destruida. Meus dedos doiam, ficava dificil se durante o dia eu tinha que segurar alguma coisa firme.. Hahaha

Link para o comentário

Segue texto do Greg Nuckols sobre o supino. Achei bem interessante! @EctoBeast, de repente vale a pena dar uma olhada ;) 

Spoiler

6 months ago, I didn't fully understand how important technique was for the bench press performance.

Don't get me wrong, I knew it played a role.  I certainly knew that retracting your shoulder blades could help keep your shoulders healthy.  I knew that getting an arch and good leg drive could help you lift a little more weight.

But I didn't quite understand how much of a difference one particular tweak could make:  optimizing your bar path.

I had a consultation client who was driving me crazy.  We'll call him Chris.

Chris came from a bodybuilding background, and he wanted to get his bench up to compete in powerlifting.  He wasn't driving me crazy through any fault of his own – nice guy, hard worker, and just an all-around great client.  He was driving me crazy because on paper, he should have been benching WAY more than he was.  Chris was your prototypical bencher:  short arms, big chest, and super jacked.  His setup was solid.  He didn't have any nagging injuries.  But his bench was way lower than it should have been.  He certainly wasn't a BAD bencher – he had a 300lb bench at 195, which is respectable – but everything about him screamed that he should be good for 350+.

We did some troubleshooting, trying out slightly different setups, adjusting his program, etc.  Three months later, his bench had gone up... to 305.

I knew I had to be missing something.  I watched a bunch of videos from world record bench presses, trying to find the one thing they had in common that Chris was lacking.  I eventually noticed that they started their presses by driving the bar up and back toward their throat (instead of straight up initially), and then finished the press with a vertical bar path.  I didn't think adjusting bar path would make that big of a difference (you're pushing the bar the same distance, after all), but I figured that it was at least worth seeing if it would make a difference.

Since Chris came from a bodybuilding background, he was used to touching the bar high on his chest and pushing it in basically a straight line.  After switching to powerlifting, he started touching the bar lower on his chest, but he still started the press by driving the bar straight up instead of up and back toward his face (like I saw from the world records).

I told him to try driving the bar up and back when he reversed it (instead of straight up), and to tell me how it felt.

He said it felt weird to him because he wasn't used to it, but he still hit a small 5rm PR.  A month later, he was benching 330.  Today (6 months later), his PR is 355.

This intrigued me, so I started digging.  For a long time, I couldn't find a good answer for why altering the bar path helped so much (plenty of people have offered opinions, of course, but I like solid answers).

Recently, however, I came across an old book (from the '80s) called Bench Press More Now:  Breakthroughs in Biomechanics and Training Methods.

Generally I wouldn't pay much attention to a book with a title like that ("Bench press more now"?  Are you kidding me?  Someone clearly aced Selling False Hope 101), but one thing jumped out at me:  the author.

Dr. Thomas McLaughlin, who happens to be one of my all-time favorite researchers.

It's a shame that more lifters don't know of the work that came out of McLaughlin's lab at Auburn.  From the late '70s through the '80s, they published a lot of very good, very applicable studies on powerlifting.  McLaughlin and several of his research partners were nationally ranked powerlifters, and they gathered a lot of their data from the best source imaginable if you want to understand elite powerlifting performance:  high-level powerlifting meets.  In several of their studies, they wouldn't include a lifter's data unless they were ranked in the top 10 in their weight class, and in one particularly amusing example from a squat study, their "low skill" group included lifters who squatted 620 at 242 and 550 at 193 (their "high skill" group included only national champions).

I found a copy of McLaughlin's book and read it cover-to-cover.

It finally helped me figure out why adjusting Chris's bar path helped so much.

At its core, the book is based on several studies that compared the bench press technique of world-class benchers to the bench press technique of "novice" benchers with maximal loads (their novices still benched 224 at 170, on average, and would be considered "well-trained" by the standards of a lot of studies).

McLaughlin found that both the novice benchers and the elite benchers lowered the bar using a similar pattern:  roughly a straight line, arcing out slightly.  However, their bar paths during the press itself differed drastically.  The novice lifters pushed the bar back up in roughly the same pattern they'd lowered it – pressing almost straight up initially, with the bar then moving up and back more toward the top half of the lift (like Chris).  The elite lifters followed the opposite pattern – they initially pressed the bar up and back at the start of the lift, and finished the lift by pressing the bar almost straight up toward the top half of the lift (like the world record lifts I'd watched).

What's more, when he looked at elite lifters who'd improved their performance over time (since he collected data at all the major meets over a 4-year period), and compared them to elite lifters whose performance had stalled, he saw the same trend.  Elite lifters who hadn't improved their bench numbers used roughly the same bar path every year, while elite lifters whose bench numbers continued to rise pushed the bar back toward their face to start the press more and more as their lifts improved.  Even more interesting:  the maximum force they applied to the bar barely changed.  They may have gotten a little stronger, but most of their bench progress could be attributed to technique improvements.

This matched what I'd seen, but I didn't entirely understand why it worked so well.  I've looked into it more, though, and now the reasons are crystal clear.  I'll spare you the details here (emails aren't conducive to explaining 3-dimensional geometry with a dash of trig), because I'm working on an article right now that will dive into this topic in more depth, but the basic gist is this: optimizing your bar path can dramatically reduce the demands placed on the muscles that cross the shoulder (like your pecs and anterior deltoids) without affecting the demands placed on the triceps to a meaningful degree.

This means that you can lift more weight with less effort.

How much more weight?

Obviously it varies person-to-person, but McLaughlin's work gives us some hints about the sort of increase you can expect.

McLaughlin found that the elite benchers had a ~10% gap between how much they could bench and the maximal force they could produce at any point in the movement.  For novice benchers, that gap was 35%!

In other words, if the novice lifters' bench stroke was as efficient as the elite lifters' (remember, the elite lifters he observed over time lifted more and more weight due to technique improvements with minimal changes in maximum force), they could reasonably expect to add 25% to their bench without actually getting any stronger if they could get the 35% gap between max force and performance down to the 10% gap seen in the elite lifters.  In theory, they should be able to bench ~275 instead of ~225, just by adopting a more efficient bar path.

Of course, you can't expect that 25% to show up over night (with Chris, it was 16.7% in 6 months, which is still very solid progress).  It takes a while for a new groove to feel comfortable, and a new technique may expose some hidden weaknesses that an old technique was masking.  However, there's still a lot of potential strength you can unlock through simply correcting your bar path.

Want more bench press tips?

About 6 months ago, we sent out a survey to ask people what sorts of problems they were having with their training.

One of the questions was, "Which lift would you like to improve the most?"

Roughly 65% of people said bench press. We hear ya, and we've got some great bench press content coming out in the next few days. 

There are a lot of other cool tricks, tips for optimizing and troubleshooting your setup, and information on how to diagnose and correct weaknesses that I want to share with you. If you're really interested in learning all you can, or if you are currently having problems with your bench press, we're hosting a bench press online seminar this weekend as part of the Lifting Lyceum series.You can learn more and register here. 

Link para o comentário

23/03/2016 - A volta dos que não foram

Voltei a treinar depois de 5 dias parado - foram dois dias de cachaça, um de ressaca e dois de muito trabalho. Aparentemente foi suficiente pra me descondicionar completamente. O tempo de treino também foi apertado, por isso tive que encurtar um pouco - mas tava tão na merda que foi bom.

A. Agachamento ATG 4x5x67,5kg - Bem difícil. Movimento desconfortável, instabilidade, um pouco de retroversão... Foi melhorando ao passar das séries.

B1. Supino 4x5x80kg - Também rolou uma instabilidade aqui, que melhorou com o passar das séries. As duas últimas séries foram feitas com pausa em todas as reps e isso foi legal.

B2. Serrote 3x10x30kg - Protocolar.

C. HLR 1x15 - Era pra ter feito mais, mas o tempo já tinha extrapolado. 

E foi isso. Ainda não sei se vou conseguir malhar amanhã, mas de repente vou lá tentar uns cleans e terminar de fuder meus punhos.

Abraços

Link para o comentário

Mais um trabalho científico a favor de high protein :). Detalhe que a recomendação incui aqueles que não fazem exercícios. Abaixo post do Brad:

Interesting new review paper making the case that the general public, irrespective of exercise participation, should consume up to 2.2 g/kg/day of protein (about 3x the RDA). Somewhere on the beach in Florida Jose Antonio is smiling :)

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/apnm-2015-0549?src=recsys&journalCode=apnm#.VvMPd66rTRg

Link para o comentário

• Lucas, o Schrödinger mudou o título para Diário do gato de Schrödinger: LPO e Powerlifting

Crie uma conta ou entre para comentar

Você precisar ser um membro para fazer um comentário

Criar uma conta

Crie uma nova conta em nossa comunidade. É fácil!

Crie uma nova conta

Entrar

Já tem uma conta? Faça o login.

Entrar Agora
  • Criar Novo...